Friday, June 26, 2009

Memories with the KING of Pop!

Michael Jackson was a flawed man...there is no doubt about it. In fact, at times it made it difficult to listen to his music knowing the life that he led. However, throughout my childhood and adult life I have had great memories with the King of Pop.

Here are a few of my favorite:

Growing up I had a pink hand held boom box. My sister's tape player was purple. We LOVED them. We would go down into our unfinished basement and make up dances to Debbie Gibson, Amy Grant, Paula Abdul, and Michael Jackson. This was when his skin was still its original color and his nose still looked like it belonged on a human being.

I remember being huddled around a TV during a study session with some of my classmates during Block I education courses. We were supposed to be planning a lesson to teach to eighth graders that basically determined our grade. However, that night it was the "Michael Jackson 30 Years" special on TV. The room was silent and the lesson pushed aside as we watched Michael, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake sing all of the Michael Jackson songs.

I teach at a very diverse high school in the state of Kansas. Nothing was better than putting on the Jackson 5's song "I Want You Back" and watching my students dance, sing, and bob their heads along to the music. In fact, the looks on their faces when the song played was priceless. They were the first ones to criticize his lifestyle but they truly appreciated the talent he had.

Finally, I have been known to break out in the "Thriller" dance. In fact, I use it as bribery with my students yearly. If they are good. If they arrange for the song to be brought to class. If they promise not to boo me...I do the Thriller dance for them. They LOVE it! Mostly because they get to laugh at their teacher but deep down I know they just love Michael Jackson's music.

No comments:

Post a Comment