Monday, April 13, 2009

Sacrifice

I guess it is the time of year but I have been thinking a lot of about sacrifice lately. I truly believe it is too difficult to understand sacrifice until you start to get older and begin sacrificing yourself.

While I am not a parent, I see the sacrifice that parents make with their children daily. The same thing is true of my parents. I watched them give up their free time, money, happiness and sleep to guide me to a successful life. It is truly amazing to think about all the things a parent gives up to nurture a child.

The same can be true for relationships. When I was in my early twenties I was in a relationship where I did a lot of sacrifice and the other person did very little. While I do not regret the sacrifices I made to make someone's life easier...I do regret not expecting someone to do the same for me. Perhaps this is why I am still looking for the right man...because perhaps we are not as willing to do without for the happiness of someone else as were past generations.

I found this quote that I absolutely love:
"Sacrificing your happiness for the happiness of the one you love, is by far, the truest type of love.”
So I started making a list of the sacrifices we make for the people we love. I would love to hear some of the things you have sacrificed:

  • Time
  • Money
  • Comfort
  • remote control
  • last piece of pizza
  • half the couch
  • Friday night movie selection
  • Sleep
  • Gas (used for pick-ups and drop-offs)

3 comments:

  1. Plans, careers, even education sometimes get sacrificed. Oh yeah, and what about all those clothes you & your sister got away with?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Computer, SLEEP, Hot water in the shower, Watching Greys Anatomy, Listening to my music real loud,

    Thank you for asking that Miss Erickson. I really don't sacrifice much now that I've come to think of it. I'm going to try a little bit harder to go a little bit more out of my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, this pic of your parents reminds me very much of a pic I just saw on a site I just visited for the first time and really liked- a teacher, on whose blog I also commented- could it be?
    I'm a new blogger just clicking around meeting new people through their blogs. Come visit sometime!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete