Friday, December 18, 2009

Patience

This last weekend, I had to practice a little patience. Now, you might think that as a teacher I should be full of patience. During the week, your assumptions would be right but like my gas tank it seems the more I use the less I have.

About five years ago, I began a tradition of baking Christmas cookies with my Grandma. She is 81 years old and is getting to the age where she shouldn't and doesn't want to cook anymore. So in order for her apartment to smell good and to have treats for her nurses and friends, my sister and I travel to see her and bake Christmas cookies.

You might ask why I need patience to bake cookies with my grandmother and sister but let me tell you...baking is stressful. So is baking in a teeny tiny kitchen. Baking with a lady who in her prime was the first Paula Dean, is also stressful.
I decided this year I would bring my camera along so I could capture the day:

First thing I did: Burnt the chocolate.

Grandma's reaction to my cooking skills.


Our sugar cookies that looked as though my grandmother's kitchen had a rodent problem. (We called it rabbit poo!)

Her famous peanut clusters...

While my patience may have been tested...I know that the time that I spend with my grandmother doing the things she loves to do will be a memory that I can cherish long after she is gone. The gift of time, cooking lessons, and love.

Pretty great gifts.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVE the expression on Grandma's face in that 1st pic of her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture tells a thousand words. Memories to cherish :)

    ReplyDelete